[Spanish: cloak, from Vulgar Latin mantum cloak. The manta ray is so called because it is caught in a trap resembling a blanket]
- Also called: manta ray, devilfish, devil ray. any large ray (fish) of the family Mobulidae, having very wide winglike pectoral fins and feeding on plankton
- a rough cotton cloth made in Spain and Spanish America
- a piece of this cloth used as a blanket or shawl
How and when machine obtained:
History prior to arrival at UCC:
- This machine was the original uniwa.uwa.edu.au machine.
- Renamed to thyme.ucs.uwa.edu.au after uniwa was given to a newer DECstation.
- Renamed again to arcadia.agric.uwa.edu.au after UCS transferred the machine to UWA's Agriculture Department.
UCC history of machine:
- Named manta soon after arrival at the UCC.
Current machine tasks:
- MOP boot server for diskless VAXen and DECservers, LAT server for terminals connected to DECservers. Only working machine with a TK50 in the UCC :)
Current software configuration:
- Currently running Ultrix 4.2
Current hardware configuration:
- MicroVAX II
- TK50 tape drive
- Maxtor XT8760E ESDI hard drive (~700Mb)
- KA630: MicroVax II processor board
- 2 x 4Mb memory board, 144 * 1 * 256Kb DIL
- DPV11-M Qbus single-line sync interface (RS232c/v.28 or v.11)
- 2 x DHV11 serial boards
- TQK50 TK50 tape adaptor
- DELQA Q-Bus ethernet interface
Future plans for machine:
- Digital Systems (+61 8 9386 8380) for supplying UCC with a new tape leader for the TK50 tape drive.
- Winthrop Technology for getting us the TK50 tape needed for the install within a week.
- University Computer Services for letting us write the boot tape using their TK50 tape drive.