University Computer Club

UCC Committee Meeting Minutes 2018-05-11

Attendance:

Present:

  • [JWB] William Chesnutt [Vice President]
  • [CFE] Zack Wong [Treasurer]
  • [FVP] Felix von Perger [Secretary]
  • [GIR] Caira Bayman [Fresher Rep]
  • [LCY] Chien Yi Lo [OCM]

Ordinary (non-committee) members:

  • [THA] Thomas Hill Almeida
  • [HYT] Hock Yew Tan

Late:

  • [CHB] Alden Bong [OCM]
  • [GOZ] Andrew Gozzard [President]

Apologies:

  • [KAT] C. C. 'Blake' [OCM]

Mentioned:

  • [EAR] Elton Rodrigues
  • [AJT] Alex Thatcher

Meeting opened at 16.10

Confirmation of minutes from 2018-05-04


Committee Reports

President's Report

  • Absent at start of meeting, report given later.
  • Bought some steam vouchers (3 * $20).
    • Subcommittee only mandated $50 worth of prizes, but Steam doesn't make $10 Steam vouchers.
    • If committee does not want to reimburse the full $60, I will be happy to absorb the losses.

Vice President's Report

  • Bought AUX cable an hour ago, it should arrive in a week.
  • I now know where the Tenancy forms are.
  • Is very tired and cranky.
  • Thought about door policy.
    • [GOZ] Can we set a deadline for when we have results?
    • [JWB] is very busy currently.
    • [GOZ] Needs to be done by end of July so we can implement effects following busybee.

Secretary's Report

  • Card payment (EFTPOS) options:
    • Westpac Genie: not available for clubs/associations
      • Asked at branch: Other clubs at UWA apparently use the more expensive EFTPOS solutions ($55+/month)
    • Paypal - PayPal Here (card reader) is $99 and 1.95% flat rate on transactions
      • Created paypal account for UCC. Seems to work so far.
      • Need ID of office bearers to complete Paypal Here application.
      • Where to put account details? What email address to use?
      • Supports all payment methods that Paypal can handle + card reader for tap&go transactions
    • Square: $59 once off + 1.9% flat rate
      • Need ID of office bearers. Any exec is fine.
      • Supports card reader, web integration & online payments
    • Live Eftpos: $24/month + (1.3% flat rate for credit/paypass OR 30c for debit/cards requiring PIN)
      • Not for profit discounts available; waiting for final quote.
      • Infinite receipt paper with custom branding is included.
      • Proper, professional looking card terminal is included.
      • Unsure about web integration.
    • Tyro EFTPOS: $29/month + 0.99% flat rate on transactions.
      • Got a callback, discussed pricing, customer service at Tyro said it would be too expensive for us. I concur.
    • Mint Payments: $300 once off + 1% flat rate on all card payments. (or $25/month + 1% flat rate)
      • Quoted price includes not for profit discounts.
      • Rather ugly looking POS terminal; connects to Android/iOS.
      • Web integration & APIs available.
  • So far, would recommend Mint Payments or Square.
    • [GOZ] is willing to try it, but there is a distinct possibility that it will die in a few years when nobody can maintain it.
  • ACNC documentation needs to be updated.
    • TODO: [FVP] look into ACNC documentation.
  • Too busy to sort out sysadmin workshop, probably going to leave that until after exams.
  • Project: What is that? instalment #1 was quite successful.
    • [GOZ] Previous attempts have been unsuccessful. Good job.
  • I thought I'd lost the Tenancy contracts, then I found out that [GOZ] had stolen it and handed it in himself.

[CHB] arrives at 16.15.

Treasurer's Report

  • Accounts:
    • cheque: $5004.28
    • mastercard: $49.87
    • guild: $1,753.65
  • Financial records for 2017 have now been finished!
  • Some issues surrounding financial records for 2016.
    • [AJT] has supplied books for 2016.
    • TODO: Best wishes to [CFE] to untangle this mess!

[GOZ] arrives at 16.17.

Fresher Rep's Report

  • Unigames stole all of the Cameron Hall freshers for their fresher tables.

OCM Reports

[LCY]

  • Talked to [EAR]
    • Everyone else who could be involved with study sessions is busy with their own exams.
    • [GOZ] is still happy to help out.

[CHB]

  • More to say in Quiz Night.

[KAT]

  • Absent.

Machine Technical Reports

Servers

  • Nothing changed since last week.

Network

  • 5GHz network was renamed from "UCC" to "UCC-5" so now people can actually connect to it specifically.
    • Works a lot better than 2.4GHz network.

Desktops

  • Pinball's monitor was behaving strangley one day, the next it was fine.
  • Cobra seems to be working...

Misc.

  • [FVP] added $5000 to his account to test dispensing items.
    • Now committee knows how to test the snack machine.
    • [CFE] Dispense needs to be rebalanced.

New equipment

  • [TFM] Got some nice new phone chargers from Guild lost property.
  • Gavin Face posters for Quiz Night have been put up again.
  • The actual Cameron Hall Quiz Night posters are also up!
  • [GOZ] Do we want to discuss regulation about buying consumables?
    • We should be able to buy stuff without it being approved ahead of time.
    • Something similar to Unigames: ie. the Treasurer has a consumables budget to buy and reimburse.
  • [GOZ] Bought some miscellaneous items.
    • Glue gun, glue sticks (old one was broken).
    • New whiteboard eraser and refills for the whiteboard eraser.
    • Cleaning cloths.
    • A range of batteries (9V, AA and AAA).
    • Total cost of purchase is $97.27.
    • [JWB] Motion to reimburse [GOZ] $97.27 for miscellaneous items.
      • [CFE] seconds.
      • Motion passes: 6 in favour, 1 abstains.
    • [HYT] is named by [JWB] to be quiet because he was voting without voting rights.
    • [GOZ] Need some bin liners.
    • [HYT] decides to go and buy some bin liners.

Later, at 17.12, [HYT] arrives with a bag of goodies.

  • [CFE] Motion to reimburse [HYT] $17.87 for bin liners.
    • [GOZ] seconds.
    • Motion passes unanimously.
    • [HYT] offers everyone at the meeting an Oreo.

Drinks and Snacks

  • [FVP] Bought $12 of muesli bars.
    • [GOZ] Motion to reimburse [FVP] $12 for muesli bars.
      • [CFE] seconds.
      • Motion passes: 5 in favour, 2 abstain.
  • Snack machine is almost full again.

External Entities

Mail

  • Mail has been checked, nothing in the mailbox.

Guild/SOC

  • The Tenancy contract has been submitted. Only a little bit late.

Other Affairs

  • [JWB] Did we attend all the SOC meetings last year?
    • [CFE] is reasonably sure that we did.
  • Next SOC meeting is on 2018-05-16.
    • [JWB] has something else on and can't go.
    • [FVP] is happy to go.
    • [JWB] Can we not send [FVP] please?
      • Nobody else volunteers to go to the SOC meeting.

Events

[ROB] UWA Sports eSports Event

  • No further information so far so it will be discussed next week.

Quiz Night

  • [GOZ] bought $60 of steam vouchers for $60, to be donated to the prize pool.
    • In theory, the contribution to the Quiz Night will be reflected in profit shares, depending on what the subcommittee decides.
    • [CFE] Motion to reimburse [GOZ] for $60 for 3 * $20 Steam vouchers.
      • [LCY] seconds.
      • Motion passes: 6 in favour, 1 abstain.
  • Catering has been organised. Yum yum.

Movie nights

  • Not being run for now.
  • Maybe run a movie night during study break because people love to procrastinate.

Sysadmin "Tech-talk" workshop

  • Planning on hold until after exams.

Camp

  • Camp deposit has been done and payment has been approved: 2018-06-27 to 2018-06-30.
  • [AJT] recommends finishing EMP ASAP so we can advertise before end of semester.
  • [AJT] is also happy to help out with EMP related stuff.
  • [CFE] will try to work on EMP this weekend.
  • [GIR] RSA training should be done soon.
    • TODO: Everyone who has RSA certificates, please send them to [CFE] soon.
  • Food safety training: everyone should do it.

Action Items from 2018-05-04

  • [JWB], [LCY] and [CHB]: Discuss door policy reviews - in progress.
  • [KAT] and [CFE]: Print cards for machine specs and clubroom rules - in progress.
    • [CFE] Probably won't happen for a while until I get bored and actually do something.
  • [FVP] and [CFE]: Organise sysadmin workshop - to do after exams.
  • [LCY]: Talk to [EAR] about first-year unit study events - might happen eventually.
  • [FVP]: Submit tenancy contract to Guild finance - done, stolen by [GOZ]
  • [FVP] Inquire further into Square / Westpac payment processing - done
    • Awaiting a decision from committee.
  • [GOZ]: Pay deposit for Camp - done.
  • [CHB]: Make sure that someone prints more Quiz Night posters and that they get to the UCC - happened, somehow.
  • [JWB]: Buy 3.5mm stereo AUX cable - done
  • [JWB]: Write storage application - in progress
  • [JWB]: Investigate mailbox reallocation - in progress
  • [CFE]: Start working on EMP for Camp - in progress
  • [CFE]: Get the financial reports from [AJT] - done!

General Business

  • [FVP] We should delete the Facebook Messenger group chat. It is despicably awful.
    • [JWB] likes it so he can watch videos and check messages at the same time.
    • To be discussed next week.
  • [FVP] Who has the safe keys?
    • [JWB] has keys but hasn't been able to open it to get quiz night tickets out.
    • [GOZ] forgot to bring his bag.
    • [FVP] doesn't have a key.
    • [CFE] didn't get out the tickets from the safe when he was last here.
    • [BOB] probably has one, but he's only here on Mondays.
    • [BOB] responds: does not have a safe key.
  • [BOB] please get a Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD for Pinball.
    • [CFE] Machine upgrades will be discussed at next meeting.
  • [THA] is selling parts to build a super-high-end gaming system for around $1k.
    • Specs have been sent to committee@.
    • Needs RAM ([THA] recommends DDR4-2933 or higher)
    • To be discussed next week.
  • [FVP] (Re)evaluate door members based on what they do whilst in the clubroom.
    • To be discussed after the new door policy has been implemented.
  • [FVP] Card payment stuff.
    • [GOZ] Consider this an experiment; it will probably only last 2 years.
    • Viable options are Mint Payments, Square and Paypal.
    • TODO: [FVP] Write up business case for available options and send to committee@.

Meeting closed at 17.30

Current Action Items

  • [JWB], [LCY] and [CHB]: Discuss door policy reviews.
  • [KAT] and [CFE]: Print cards for machine specs and clubroom rules.
  • [FVP] and [CFE]: Organise sysadmin workshop - to do after exams.
  • [FVP]: Update ACNC documentation.
  • [FVP]: Send email to committee@ with business case for payment gateway/EFTPOS options.
  • [CFE] and [FVP]: Write the EMP for Camp.
  • [CFE]: Untangle financial records for 2016. We wish him luck.
  • [LCY]: Organise first-year unit study events with [EAR].
  • [JWB]: Write storage & mailbox applications.
  • Committee: Everyone with RSA certificates, please send them to [CFE].

Minutes uploaded by [FVP] at 23:15 on 2018-06-27

Colour: #
Text Colour: #
Background Colour: #


© 1993-2015
webmasters@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
University Computer Club
Guild of Undergraduates
The University of Western Australia