UCC Meeting on 1st September 2021

UCC Committee Meeting Minutes 2021-09-01

  • Last committee minutes haven't been uploaded to the website.

Attendance

  • [TEC] Timothy Chapman, President
  • [MPT] James Arcus, Vice President
  • [BLU] Grace Fowler, Secretary
  • [EGG] Alex Barker, Fresher Representative
  • [OKC] Benjamin Wright, Ordinary Committee Member
  • [APA] Alistair Parkinson, Ordinary Committee Member
  • [HET] Nicholas Clements, Ordinary Committee Member
  • [LIZ] Elizabeth Thatcher
  • [BRD] Cormac Sharkey
  • [LCY] Chien-Yi Lo
  • Lara Freej
  • Julia White
  • Gary O’Donovan

Apologies

  • [LMH] Liam Hammond, Treasurer

Absent

Start Time

  • 13.14

Committee Reports

President's Report

  • Network discussions continue.
  • Haven't heard anything further from Kelvin or Lauren yet.

Vice President's Report

  • Chased down an opportunity for UCC to take on an old HPC node from Physics.
  • Attending meeting with Uni IT on Thursday, wish me luck.
  • Fixed Merlo, we now have dispense back!
  • Reminded everyone about the upcoming busy bee.
    • Need to work out what we want to achieve this month.
  • Several people have left drinks/food around the room.
    • Need to remind people of general cleanliness.

Secretary's Report

  • Used the terminal app for the first time.
  • Wrote down who attended the last Bust Bee, apologies and absences.
  • Went on strike until everyone arrived.

Treasurer's Report

  • Current Balances:
  • Old Term Deposit Account: $44,819.25
  • General Westpac Account: $1,081.49 ($1,728.39 last meeting, will empty safe this Friday)
  • Westpac Card Account: $29.53

Fresher Rep's Report

  • Midway through EMP for Virtual Reality Event.
  • Skated around.

OCM Reports

Machine Technical Report

Servers

  • Merlo PSU/fan broke? Dispense was down for a few days.
    • [MPT] fixed it.
    • Replaced external PSU and internal fan.

Network

  • Wheel responded to Karen from IT.
    • Have addressed the (lack of) NTP vulnerability.
    • Ports will remain unfirewalled.
  • Meeting tomorrow at 2.30 with Warric and management team.

  • [EGG] and [MPT] both swapped chairs.

Desktops

Miscellaneous

Action Items From Previous Meeting

[TEC]

  • Talk to Guild about server solutions.
  • Progressing (Ongoing).
  • Poke James to poke people for action items.
  • Poking attempted, results unsatisfactory. Will repeat.
  • Ongoing.

[MPT]

  • Send [APA] prior work on sponsorship.
  • Not done.
  • Find the secretary keys for [BLU]
  • Not done.
  • Look into server cooling Australian company quotes.
  • Ongoing.
  • Give [BLU] the annual meeting minutes (Before the next GM)
  • Ongoing.
  • Send an email changing the next bust bee from the 2nd to the 9th of October.
  • Ongoing.

[APA]

  • Write up what the sponsorship pamphlet would look like.
  • Ongoing.
  • Make and print out a poster on A3, saying we have a controller and VR.
  • Ongoing.

  • [APA] takes on [EGG]'s poster action item.

[HET]

  • Talk to his father who works for Sales Force, about what they're willing to do.
  • Ongoing.

[EGG]

  • Print new discord invites.
  • Ongoing.
  • Buy another x-box controller with the budgeted money.
  • Ongoing.

[BLU]

  • Advertise the Cam Hall Quiz Night.
  • Done.
  • Email door about enforcing the clubroom rules.
  • Ongoing.
  • Email tech list about tec talks.
  • Ongoing.

[OKC]

  • Look into hiring professional cleaners for the couches.
  • Ongoing.

[LMH]

  • Look into where we can get a vertical banner.
  • Ongoing.

New equipment

  • Talked more with [FVP] about a replacement?
    • [MPT] has done so, clarified that that particular model is not important.
    • Just the general functionality, and more than 2 channels.

Drinks and Snacks

  • The drink machine has been refilled.
  • The snack machine is looking a bit empty.
  • A reminder to please check which slot the drink is meant to go in when filling the coke machine as there was a mixup.
  • List of dispensed items written on board while Merlo was down. Money needs to be removed from their accounts.

External Entities

Mail

  • [BLU] hasn't checked the mail.

Guild, SOC

  • Busy Bee this Saturday
  • [MPT] sent a reminder to door.

  • SOC Meeting (2021-08-18)

    • [MPT] attended.
  • Nothing important happened.
  • Tenancy was grumpy for people not keeping their spaces clean.

Other affairs

Events

Unity Tech Talk

  • Was more of a tutorial.
  • Unity is installed on most of the computers.
  • Messed around and started building a 2D game.
  • 5-8 people were there.
  • Should change the tec talk to tec tutorials.

  • [MPT] was ging to do Git, but PCS did Git at the same time.

  • Should change talk times.
  • Should do a Git talk after the semester break.
  • Contact unit co-ords.
  • Work out other talks we can do.

VR Event 2

  • Monday week 6 4pm? 20th September.
  • May be too short notice.
  • Paid $5 pizzas ordered?
  • People pay for what they order.

Cam Hall Quiz Night

  • The questions are done.
  • Just need to finish the powerpoint.
  • [BLU] posted a reminder about the Quiz Night on the discord.

  • The UCC committre table isn't working.

  • Might join Goz's table.

Tech Clubs Quiz Night

  • Have heard back from Tavern manager about costs and availability.
  • Next meeting with the subcommittee will address preferred date.
  • Will most likely be after exams.
  • [MPT] thinks just after exams. Make sure it doesn't clash.

Joint Camp 2021

  • EMP meeting 1 was successful, no longer has to be redacted.
  • Got some poster designs and will advertise soon.
  • Will need to brief committees on how to sell tickets.

Tech Talks

  • [MPT] was going to do a Git tech talk in week 6, but PCS did one at the exact same time.
    • Multiple Git talks isn't a bad thing, but will reschedule to post study break.
  • We should send out a call for more tech talks.

  • ACTION [BLU] To: Email tech list about tec talks.

General Business

  • Need to make sure people have paid for their dispense stuff. Liam can debit everyone's accounts and follow up anyone who goes into debit.

  • Create a digital receipt database.

  • Currently hard to look through the treasurer draws or photos from people's phones when needed.
  • [MPT] has a document feed scanner that might be helpful for this that can be borrowed.
  • PDFs in committee folder. Have a monthly and the file names.
  • Can scan the receipt with Microsoft lens.
  • Receipts should go into the filing cabinet.

  • ACTION [EGG] TO: Buy another x-box controller with the budgeted money.

  • General reminder to throw away food and drink rubbish in the bin or sink.

  • [MPT] Moves To: Budget $30 for cleaning supplies for busy bee

  • [EGG] seconds.
  • Unanimous.

  • Will pay couch people by card for the 9th of October.

  • Due to Relay for Life being on the weekend before the Tenancy inspection.
  • Do a quick clean right before the inspection.

  • ACTION [MPT] TO: Send an email changing the next bust bee from the 2nd to the 9th of October.

  • [LMH]'s quote? Why $90?

  • [TEC] Moves To: Budget $90 to get a vertical banner.

  • [MPT] seconds.
  • Unanimous.

  • Having a mid semester GM is a good idea.

Meeting Ended

  • 13.44