UCC Meeting on 25th August 2021
UCC Committee Meeting Minutes 2021-08-25
- Last committee minutes uploaded to the website.
- [TEC] Timothy Chapman, President
- [MPT] James Arcus, Vice President
- [BLU] Grace Fowler, Secretary
- [LMH] Liam Hammond, Treasurer
- [EGG] Alex Barker, Fresher Representative
- [OKC] Benjamin Wright, Ordinary Committee Member
- [LIZ] Elizabeth Thatcher
- Daniel Ledovsky
- [APA] Alistair Parkinson, Ordinary Committee Member
- [HET] Nicholas Clements, Ordinary Committee Member
- Wheel: things are happening again with UWA :sigh: more on that later.
- More on that from [MPT].
- There was a tenancy meeting, it was exceptionally uneventful.
- There is a SOC meeting tonight, someone else will need to attend that.
- A somewhat regular meeting between tech clubs is being planned, I like the sound of that.
- CFC are planning a fortnightly (daytime, FYI @projectnight people) "chill coding
session". I think this would be better the more tech clubs promote/are involved with it
(also good for booking time) so I'm asking how they feel about other clubs piling on.
Vice President's Report
- Properly getting started with the push to get ourselves more independent from Uni IT restrictions.
- More to come in the Network section
- Have been plodding along with other tasks.
- Rearranged my tech talk to later on because I was busy.
- Still need to contact Ben properly about Unity.
- What're his contact details? Have not seen him around recently.
- No news from subcommittee.
- Will be available to go to SOC tonight.
- Met with IET networking event representative.
- Went to the busy bee and basically did nothing.
- Heard and watched some of the entertaining minecraft speedrun.
- Went to Chelsea's and waited nearly an hour for [EGG] to come. We then ended up on a weird bus, where it took a detour.
- Current Balances:
- Old Term Deposit Account: $44,818.86 (same)
- General Westpac Account: $1,768.39 (prev $1,728.39)
- Westpac Card Account: $61.03 (prev $61.37)
- Guild Account: $5,186.12
- Existed in UCC a bunch.
- Refilled coke machine again. We now have wintermelon tea!
Fresher Rep's Report
- Added the UCC discord to the new UWA discord hub.
- "Participated" in the busy bee, there was a lot of people.
- Played a bunch of local multiplayer games with the new controller + my own. Perhaps buy another one?
- Lost to [BRD] and Lara in a (not so epic) duel during the minecraft speedrun tournament.
Machine Technical Report
- We are seeking to get more independence from UWA firewalling/UniIT
- There have been increasing restrictions on our activities (see: Cloudflare project last year)
- [MPT] is consulting with wheel on an email to the UWA Chief Information Officer
- Will request to hold meeting between us and some members of UniIT on ways we can possibly move to a more "carriage service"-type arrangement
- Might be valuable to get Guild on this conversation
- Christmas's screen has been going black in the middle of using it.
- Screen or Graphics card?
- Was only happening with Rain World.
Action Items From Previous Meeting
- Talk to Guild about server solutions.
- Progressing (Ongoing).
- Poke James to poke people for action items.
- Poking attempted, results unsatisfactory. Will repeat.
- Send [APA] prior work on sponsorship.
- Not done.
- Find the secretary keys for [BLU].
- Not done.
- Look into server cooling Australian company quotes.
- Give [BLU] the annual meeting minutes (Before the next GM).
- Write up a report on history of machine room issues and risk analysis of alternative plans ahead of the Compliance Discussion with Guild.
- Write up what the sponsorship pamphlet would look like.
- Send [MPT] info about Australian server cooling companies.
- Talk to his father who works for Sales Force, about what they're willing to do.
- Make and print out a poster on A3, saying we have a controller and VR.
- Look at what we have for engraving (For the controller)
- Advertise Bloom's event on our Facebook page and Discord.
- Print new discord invites.
- Send a reminder to [email protected]
- Advertise the Cam Hall Quiz Night.
- Email door about enforcing the clubroom rules.
- Look into hiring professional cleaners for the couches.
- Look into where we can get a vertical banner.
- Make a PayID with Westpac.
- Done by [MPT].
- Talked more with [FVP] about a replacement?
- Havn't talked to him.
Drinks and Snacks
- The drink machine has been refilled.
- [BLU] hasn't checked the mail.
- Busy Bee!
- Too many door members? Lots just sat there with nothing to do.
- Guild busy bee happened.
Should come up with a plan of how to use peoples effort.
- Took 12 minutes and basically nothing happened.
enerics notes about what we're already doing.
SOC Meeting (tonight; 2021-08-18)
$5000 in Guild account
- Should think of useful ways to spend it.
- Replacing graphics cards.
Meeting with Guild Staff
- Met with Tony, Kelvin, Lauren, and Chloe about UCC's server room
- Positive discussion, guild seems happy to try to help us improve the server room.
- Guild are just concerned about any risk of UWA complaining about the current state, want to resolve that first.
- [TEC] and [MPT] will be having a follow-up meeting on this with Kelvin and Lauren this Thusrday, more on that then.
ICON group chat
- Has been an informal group for ages.
- Somehow got involved with Quiz night this year, and that's been a pain.
- There's been a conversation about what went wrong / how the group should proceed.
- The general thought seems to be that if ICON does anything actually impactful (i.e. committee-like) with clubs it should be goverened by some rules.
- More to come...
- Decent turnout at first (~10 people and some couldn't make it) - people got bored after a few hours and gave up/left.
- Should run events that take less skill so its more open and people dont get bored.
- Took a while to chat.
- They run a fullblown networking night wih catering.
- Groundtable discoussion.
- Hangout with industry people.
- Fairly large, has a few other clubs involved.
- If we're apart of it, we would need to pay.
- If nothing else we should promote it.
- Not sure what we would bring to the table except money and some contacts.
- Would it be worth it?
- Has someone told them our answer?
Someone's messaged them.
Followup on asking emkay if BHP would like to do a Q&A.
- Action item?
VR Event 2
- Monday week 6 4pm?
- May be too short notice.
- After is mid-sem break which we were going to try avoid this time to see turnout of midsem vs in sem.
- Paid $5 pizzas ordered?
- Will be the same as last time.
- Should get more people.
Cam Hall Quiz Night
- The questions are coming along nicely.
- Unigames and UniSFA have recieved their prizes and done prize photo hype.
- We should do that.
Tech Club Quiz Night
- Need to talk to tav about pricing and availability.
- James has set a deadline for that before friday.
- Meeting next friday.
- Need to push to make the advertising.
- [MPT] did Linux Desktop.
- Had a low attendance, but gained interest from those there and a couple who couldn't make it.
- Considering running it again, probably after mid-semester break.
- Ben to do Unity next monday (week 5).
- [MPT] will do Git in week 6.
- We should send out a call for more tech talks.
- Should tell the lectures about out talks inadvance, Linux.
- Door Application: Daniel Ledovsky.
- [TEC] motions for: Daniel Ledovsky to become a door member.
- [EGG] seconds.
- Should publish clearer guidelines of what people should write.
Digital Receipt Database
- Create a digital receipt database
- Currently hard to look through the treasurer draws or photos from 10 peoples phones when needed
- [MPT] has a document feed scanner that might be helpful for this that can be borrowed.
- [BLU] motions to: Budget $85 to buy another controller.
- [LMH] seconds.
[MPT] leaves at 13.52.
- CFC are planning to do chill coding sessions.
- [TEC] Asked if more clubs could be involved.
They replied that they'll talk about it in their next meeting.
[LMH] leaves at 13.55.
- Do this week?
- We will need to bring them downstairs, so the cleaners can do it in the courtyard.
During busybee bring the couches down.
Professional cleaning or ourselves?
- With professional, we know it's professional.
Ideas for what we're doing this semester.
- Should do something with the 3D printer.
- Can we make a poster saying we have a 3D printer and give it to Guild to put up?