UCC Meeting on 25th August 2021

UCC Committee Meeting Minutes 2021-08-25

  • Last committee minutes uploaded to the website.

Attendance

  • [TEC] Timothy Chapman, President
  • [MPT] James Arcus, Vice President
  • [BLU] Grace Fowler, Secretary
  • [LMH] Liam Hammond, Treasurer
  • [EGG] Alex Barker, Fresher Representative
  • [OKC] Benjamin Wright, Ordinary Committee Member
  • [LIZ] Elizabeth Thatcher
  • Daniel Ledovsky

Apologies

  • [APA] Alistair Parkinson, Ordinary Committee Member
  • [HET] Nicholas Clements, Ordinary Committee Member

Absent

Start Time

  • 13.18

President's Report

  • Wheel: things are happening again with UWA :sigh: more on that later.
  • More on that from [MPT].
  • There was a tenancy meeting, it was exceptionally uneventful.
  • There is a SOC meeting tonight, someone else will need to attend that.
  • A somewhat regular meeting between tech clubs is being planned, I like the sound of that.
  • CFC are planning a fortnightly (daytime, FYI @projectnight people) "chill coding
    session". I think this would be better the more tech clubs promote/are involved with it
    (also good for booking time) so I'm asking how they feel about other clubs piling on.

Vice President's Report

  • Properly getting started with the push to get ourselves more independent from Uni IT restrictions.
  • More to come in the Network section
  • Have been plodding along with other tasks.
  • Rearranged my tech talk to later on because I was busy.
  • Still need to contact Ben properly about Unity.
    • What're his contact details? Have not seen him around recently.
  • No news from subcommittee.
  • Will be available to go to SOC tonight.
  • Met with IET networking event representative.

Secretary's Report

  • Went to the busy bee and basically did nothing.
  • Heard and watched some of the entertaining minecraft speedrun.
  • Went to Chelsea's and waited nearly an hour for [EGG] to come. We then ended up on a weird bus, where it took a detour.

Treasurer's Report

  • Current Balances:
  • Old Term Deposit Account: $44,818.86 (same)
  • General Westpac Account: $1,768.39 (prev $1,728.39)
  • Westpac Card Account: $61.03 (prev $61.37)
  • Guild Account: $5,186.12
  • Existed in UCC a bunch.
  • Refilled coke machine again. We now have wintermelon tea!

Fresher Rep's Report

  • Added the UCC discord to the new UWA discord hub.
  • "Participated" in the busy bee, there was a lot of people.
  • Played a bunch of local multiplayer games with the new controller + my own. Perhaps buy another one?
  • Lost to [BRD] and Lara in a (not so epic) duel during the minecraft speedrun tournament.

OCM Reports

Machine Technical Report

Servers

Network

  • We are seeking to get more independence from UWA firewalling/UniIT
    • There have been increasing restrictions on our activities (see: Cloudflare project last year)
    • [MPT] is consulting with wheel on an email to the UWA Chief Information Officer
    • Will request to hold meeting between us and some members of UniIT on ways we can possibly move to a more "carriage service"-type arrangement
    • Might be valuable to get Guild on this conversation

Desktops

  • Christmas's screen has been going black in the middle of using it.
  • Screen or Graphics card?
  • Was only happening with Rain World.

Miscellaneous

Action Items From Previous Meeting

[TEC]

  • Talk to Guild about server solutions.
  • Progressing (Ongoing).
  • Poke James to poke people for action items.
  • Poking attempted, results unsatisfactory. Will repeat.
  • Ongoing.

[MPT]

  • Send [APA] prior work on sponsorship.
  • Not done.
  • Find the secretary keys for [BLU].
  • Not done.
  • Look into server cooling Australian company quotes.
  • Ongoing.
  • Give [BLU] the annual meeting minutes (Before the next GM).
  • Ongoing.
  • Write up a report on history of machine room issues and risk analysis of alternative plans ahead of the Compliance Discussion with Guild.
  • Done.

[APA]

  • Write up what the sponsorship pamphlet would look like.
  • Ongoing.

[HET]

  • Send [MPT] info about Australian server cooling companies.
  • Done.
  • Talk to his father who works for Sales Force, about what they're willing to do.
  • Ongoing.

[EGG]

  • Make and print out a poster on A3, saying we have a controller and VR.
  • Ongoing.
  • Look at what we have for engraving (For the controller)
  • Done.
  • Advertise Bloom's event on our Facebook page and Discord.
  • Done.
  • Print new discord invites.
  • Ongoing.

[BLU]

  • Send a reminder to [email protected]
  • Done.
  • Advertise the Cam Hall Quiz Night.
  • Ongoing.
  • Email door about enforcing the clubroom rules.
  • Ongoing.

[OKC]

  • Look into hiring professional cleaners for the couches.
  • Ongoing.

[LMH]

  • Look into where we can get a vertical banner.
  • Ongoing.
  • Make a PayID with Westpac.
  • Done by [MPT].

New equipment

  • Talked more with [FVP] about a replacement?
  • Havn't talked to him.

Drinks and Snacks

  • The drink machine has been refilled.

External Entities

Mail

  • [BLU] hasn't checked the mail.

Guild, SOC

  • Busy Bee!
  • Too many door members? Lots just sat there with nothing to do.
  • Guild busy bee happened.
  • Should come up with a plan of how to use peoples effort.

  • Tenancy Meeting

  • Took 12 minutes and basically nothing happened.
  • enerics notes about what we're already doing.

  • SOC Meeting (tonight; 2021-08-18)

  • $5000 in Guild account

  • Should think of useful ways to spend it.
  • Replacing graphics cards.

Meeting with Guild Staff

  • Met with Tony, Kelvin, Lauren, and Chloe about UCC's server room
  • Positive discussion, guild seems happy to try to help us improve the server room.
  • Guild are just concerned about any risk of UWA complaining about the current state, want to resolve that first.
  • [TEC] and [MPT] will be having a follow-up meeting on this with Kelvin and Lauren this Thusrday, more on that then.

ICON group chat

  • Has been an informal group for ages.
  • Somehow got involved with Quiz night this year, and that's been a pain.
  • There's been a conversation about what went wrong / how the group should proceed.
  • The general thought seems to be that if ICON does anything actually impactful (i.e. committee-like) with clubs it should be goverened by some rules.
  • More to come...

Other affairs

Events

Minecraft Speedrun

  • Decent turnout at first (~10 people and some couldn't make it) - people got bored after a few hours and gave up/left.
  • Should run events that take less skill so its more open and people dont get bored.

IET Networking

  • Took a while to chat.
  • They run a fullblown networking night wih catering.
  • Groundtable discoussion.
  • Hangout with industry people.
  • Fairly large, has a few other clubs involved.
  • If we're apart of it, we would need to pay.
  • If nothing else we should promote it.
  • Not sure what we would bring to the table except money and some contacts.
  • Would it be worth it?

BHP Hackday

  • Has someone told them our answer?
  • Someone's messaged them.

  • Followup on asking emkay if BHP would like to do a Q&A.

  • Action item?

VR Event 2

  • Monday week 6 4pm?
  • May be too short notice.
  • After is mid-sem break which we were going to try avoid this time to see turnout of midsem vs in sem.
  • Paid $5 pizzas ordered?
  • Will be the same as last time.
  • Should get more people.

Cam Hall Quiz Night

  • The questions are coming along nicely.
  • Unigames and UniSFA have recieved their prizes and done prize photo hype.
  • We should do that.

Tech Club Quiz Night

  • Need to talk to tav about pricing and availability.
  • James has set a deadline for that before friday.
  • Meeting next friday.

Redacted

  • Need to push to make the advertising.

Tech Talks

  • [MPT] did Linux Desktop.
  • Had a low attendance, but gained interest from those there and a couple who couldn't make it.
  • Considering running it again, probably after mid-semester break.
  • Ben to do Unity next monday (week 5).
  • [MPT] will do Git in week 6.
  • We should send out a call for more tech talks.
  • Should tell the lectures about out talks inadvance, Linux.

General Business

Door Applications

  • Door Application: Daniel Ledovsky.
  • [TEC] motions for: Daniel Ledovsky to become a door member.
  • [EGG] seconds.
  • Unanimous.
  • Should publish clearer guidelines of what people should write.

Digital Receipt Database

  • Create a digital receipt database
  • Currently hard to look through the treasurer draws or photos from 10 peoples phones when needed
  • [MPT] has a document feed scanner that might be helpful for this that can be borrowed.

Controller

  • [BLU] motions to: Budget $85 to buy another controller.
  • [LMH] seconds.
  • Unanimous.

  • [MPT] leaves at 13.52.

CFC

  • CFC are planning to do chill coding sessions.
  • [TEC] Asked if more clubs could be involved.
  • They replied that they'll talk about it in their next meeting.

  • [LMH] leaves at 13.55.

Couches

  • $220
  • Do this week?
  • We will need to bring them downstairs, so the cleaners can do it in the courtyard.
  • During busybee bring the couches down.

  • Professional cleaning or ourselves?

  • With professional, we know it's professional.
  • Discord vote.

  • Ideas for what we're doing this semester.

  • Should do something with the 3D printer.
  • Can we make a poster saying we have a 3D printer and give it to Guild to put up?

Meeting Ended

  • 13.59