UCC Meeting on 4th August 2021

UCC Committee Meeting Minutes 2021-08-04

  • Last two committee minutes uploaded to the website.

Attendance

  • [TEC] Timothy Chapman, President
  • [MPT] James Arcus, Vice President
  • [BLU] Grace Fowler, Secretary
  • [LMH] Liam Hammond, Treasurer
  • [EGG] Alex Barker, Fresher Representative
  • [APA] Alistair Parkinson, Ordinary Committee Member
  • [OKC] Benjamin Wright, Ordinary Committee Member
  • [HET] Nicholas Clements, Ordinary Committee Member
  • [BRD] Cormac Sharkey
  • [LCY] Chien-Yi Lo
  • [LIZ] Elizabeth Thatcher
  • Daniel Ledovsky

Apologies

Absent

Start Time

  • 13.09

President's Report

  • The Semester 2 Welcome and Club Carnival were decent :)
  • Saw [MTL]'s talk, hearing about 80's hacking was interesting.

Vice President's Report

  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
  • Very very busy.
  • Club carnival went well.
  • I couldn't be there to set up.
  • Thanks to [EGG], [BLU] and [HOT] for doing stall things.
  • I did do a flyer run to Uniprint though.
  • Replied to several emails.
  • Attended the first tech club quiz meeting, see below.
  • Did a quick drinks run for Solo & Diet Lemonade.
  • Discussed and narrowed down some possible tech talk dates and times.
  • Started looking into cooling quotes from scratch.

Secretary's Report

  • Made an active member list for 2021 and posted it in committee/docs/2021.
  • Went on a food run with [EGG] and [HOT].
  • Went on my own food run at the time when I saw marshmallow maltesers and cookies and cream hot chocolate.
  • Signed up a new person.
  • Though we didn't manage to steal him away from Unigames :(

Treasurer's Report

  • Current Balances:
  • Old Term Deposit Account: \$44,818.86
  • General Westpac Account: \$1,728.39
  • Westpac Card Account: \$61.37
  • Guild Account: \$5,186.12
  • Emptied the safe for the first time in a while.
  • Turned up to Club Carnival for like 30 seconds, then went back to safe things.

Fresher Rep's Report

  • Updated old discord invite on website home page to use ucc.asn.au/discord.
  • Attended Club Carnival, talked to a lot of people there. Fast WiFi is a big selling point, no one likes unifi.
  • Another food run with [HOT]! [BLU] joined this time and replenished her stockpile.
  • Vending machine is very well fed now, no slot is empty!

OCM Reports

Machine Technical Report

Servers

  • Motsugo still has a failing disk.
  • Replacement on its way but unexpectedly delayed after order.

Network

  • UWA temporarily firewalled off our SSH access from the net.
  • Turned out to a mistake, and was reverted after a ticket to IT.

Desktops

  • Corydoras is still out of order, PSU or GPU issue needs investigating.
  • Cichlid resolution is wack. [LCY] Switched monitors and updated the drivers.

Miscellaneous

  • Pin on one desk chair's base mechanism broke.
  • How granular can we order replacement parts or is that chair dead?
  • Could at least harvest it for the gas cylinder and castors.

Action Items From Previous Meeting

[TEC]

  • Talk to Guild about server solutions.
  • Ongoing.
  • Poke James to poke people for action items.
  • Ongoing.

[MPT]

  • Send [APA] prior work on sponsorship.
  • Not done.
  • Find the secretary keys for [BLU]
  • Not done.
  • Look into server cooling Australian company quotes.
  • Ongoing - progress!
  • Give [BLU] the annual meeting minutes (Before the next GM)
  • Ongoing - progress!
  • Write up a report on history of machine room issues and risk analysis of alternative plans for the Compliance Discussion with Guild.
  • Ongoing.

[APA]

  • Write up what the sponsorship pamphlet would look like.
  • Ongoing.

[HET]

  • Send [MPT] info about Australian server cooling companies.
  • Ongoing.
  • Talk to his father who works for Sales Force, about what they're willing to do.
  • Ongoing.

[EGG]

  • Make and print out a poster on A3, saying we have a controller and VR.
  • Ongoing.
  • Look at what we have for engraving (For the controller)
  • Ongoing.
  • Advertise Bloom's event on our Facebook page and Discord.
  • Ongoing.

[BLU]

  • Send a reminder to [email protected]
  • Ongoing.
  • Advertise the Cam Hall Quiz Night.
  • Ongoing.
  • Email door about enforcing the clubroom rules.
  • Ongoing.

New equipment

  • [FVP] is trying to fix some of the old computers in the club.
  • In order to fix it he needs a DP-832 power supply.
    • Need to research more about other power supplies of that kind.
  • It will cost \$750 plus shipping.
  • It would be useful for the club to have, as we lack a power supply.
  • Poster for xbox controller still needs to be created.
  • New member Callum Hicks said he used to work for a computer refurbishing place and said he could talk to his old boss about maybe getting UCC a discount on computer parts.
  • Talk about it more with him.

Drinks and Snacks

  • [HOT], [EGG] and [BLU] went on a food run.
  • The drink and snack machines have been refilled.
  • The snack machine is looking pretty full.
  • Please don't go on any more food runs for a couple of months.

External Entities

Mail

  • [BLU] checked the mail.
  • No mail.

Guild, SOC

  • Busy bee/inspection next week Thursday.
  • Our busy bee this weekend, Saturday 10-2pm.
  • ACTION [BLU] to: Send a reminder to [email protected]

Meeting with Guild staff

  • Chloe has finally responded to [TEC]'s email.
  • There'll be a compliance discussion Thursday 11-12pm with Guild staff.
  • Would be good to have other committee members involved.
  • [TEC] and [BLU] will go.
  • ACTION [MPT] to: Write up a report on history of machine room issues and risk analysis of alternative plans.

Other affairs

Events

2nd Semester Welcome

  • Went well. Had 4 new people show up.
  • They all signed up? Though will need to chase some of them down as they didn't pay.
  • The pizza and garlic bread was good.
  • [EGG] still owes [MPT] $4 :P
    • No longer the case.
  • We watched Wargames. It was pretty cool for an old movie.
  • Thankfully we didn't watch any horror games.
  • [MTL] told us about an easteregg of the movie.

Club Carnival

  • Went pretty well.
  • Had a couple of signups and people interested in UCC who will hopefully come to the clubroom.
  • [HOT] and [EGG] stood in front of the table and got a lot of people walking past to think about joining UCC.
  • Or maybe the free minties at the table enticed them?
  • Didn't break any equipment :)
  • 4 new memberships.
  • Having stalls on the path seemed good to talk with people as they went pass.
  • We need to have the banner somewhere more readable than the back of the marque.

Cam Hall Quiz Night

  • Haven't had a meeting in a while. Will have one tomorrow.
  • [EGG] and [BLU] brought the UCC prizes.
  • They're in the server room
  • Need to advertise the event on Discord and Facebook so people buy tickets.
  • ACTION [BLU] to: Advertise the Cam Hall Quiz Night.

Tech Club Quiz Night

  • Had first meeting last week.
  • Mostly just brainstorming, nothing firm agreed to yet other than a general desire to make it happen.
  • Another meeting planned this evening.
  • [EGG] will forward minutes from last meeting to committee.
  • Questions for committee:
  • How ambitious do we want to be?
    • Do we want to try to make a profit for the clubs involved?
    • Would we like to try and run it this semester, or stick to semester 1 2022?
    • It's possible to do it this semester if subcommittee wants to step up.

Busy Bee

  • Dates have all been sent out to door.
  • Next one on this weekend, Saturday 10-2.
  • ACTION [BLU] to: Send a reminder to [email protected]

Minecraft Speedrun

  • Planning on buying $30 worth of axolotl keychains from ebgames to use as prizes.
  • [APA] still needs to get them.
  • The posters have been updated to say the 9th instead or the 7th.
  • Still need to create a server.
  • New people have expressed interest on coming to the event.
  • Not sure how long it will run or how many people will show up.
  • [EGG] will make sure it doesn't run to late.
  • [APA] will figure out tech support.

Redacted

  • Nothings happened.
  • Next meeting will be this Friday.

Tech Talks

  • The Cuckoo's Egg Tech Talk
  • Had a decent turnout.
  • Though no new members came to the talk :(
  • Next week [MPT] will run Intro to Desktop Linux.
  • [MPT] talked with Ben about holding the Unity talk in week 5.
  • Proposed time Monday 4pm.
  • [MPT] also proposes to make the week 4 a talk by him on Git.
  • This really is something everyone in CS/CS adjacent fields should know.
  • We should send a notice to the other tech clubs about our weekly Tech Talks.

IET Networking

  • They have emailed us for a time we would like to meet.
  • [MPT] has emailed back with his availability.

    • Will hold a preliminary discussion on Saturday @ 7pm.
  • [HET] arrives 13.34

BHP Hack Day

  • Have been contacted by someone asking if they could use the clubroom for a "hack day" for their software team.
  • Would this be open to members/general public as a hackathon?
    • Answer seems to be "no".
  • Its commercial work: seems sus, our constitution says our stuff can't be used for monetary gain of members, this seems to fit that.
  • Committee will refuse.

  • Is BHP keen on a Q&A?.

  • Will ping emkay on discord.

UWA NFP Event

  • Bloom is hosting a nor-for-profit hackathon event in which students wishing to learn digital marketing are assigned to a charity in need of their help. At the end the winner will take home $1000. Our aim is that we’ll be helping both students and charities in what will be a really wholesome experience all around. It even includes introductory workshops, so it’s beginner-friendly. We really think that your community would get a lot out of it.
  • They want us to advertise their event.
  • ACTION [EGG] to: Advertise Bloom's event on our Facebook page and Discord.

Door applications

  • [MPT] and [LMH] leave at 1.42

  • Felix von Perger

  • [TEC] Moves to: Appoint Felix von Perger to become a door member.
  • [EGG] seconds.
  • Unanimous (6 for).

  • Daniel Ledovsky.

  • Committee agrees that Daniel should send another door member application that is more serious.
  • Door manual: https://www.ucc.asn.au/infobase/policies/regulations_20180926.ucc#door_manual
  • [TEC] Moves to: Appoint Daniel Ledovsky to become a door member.
  • [EGG] seconds.
  • 5 against, 1 abstain.

Couch Cleaning

  • Budget still exists from previous minutes, just hasn't been organized.
  • ACTION [OKC] to: Look into hiring professional cleaners for the couches.

General Business

  • [BOB]: note: the price listed earlier in the agenda for the DP-832 is ex. GST.

  • Ban food at computers.

  • Did something happen?
  • There were food scrapes on the desk and in the keyboards.
  • People should cleanup after themselves, with door enforcing the rules.
  • ACTION [BLU] to: Email door about enforcing the clubroom rules.

  • [TEC] Motions that: Members should not eat food at computers or on the desks.

  • [EGG] seconds.
  • Unanimous.

  • Vertical banner?

  • [MPT] thinks this is a good idea.
  • We have a stand for one.
  • [LMH]'s mum is a graphic designer.
  • ACTION [LMH] to: Look into where we can get a vertical banner.

  • Printout new discord invites for clubroom.

  • [TEC] can change the qr code.
  • ACTION [EGG] to: Print new discord invites.

  • Bank transfer details should be available in the club.

  • Make a PayID so it's an email address (easier to enter).
  • ACTION [LMH] to: Make a PayID with Westpac.

  • [EGG] Wants to host another VR event.

  • [APA] is happy to make posters for our events and will look into it.

Meeting Ended

  • 13.57