UCC Meeting on 6th July 2021
UCC Committee Meeting Minutes 2021-07-20
- Last meeting minutes uploaded to the website?
- [TEC] Timothy Chapman, President
- [MPT] James Arcus, Vice President
- [BLU] Grace Fowler, Secretary
- [EGG] Alex Barker, Fresher Representative
- [APA] Alistair Parkinson, Ordinary Committee Member
- [OKC] Benjamin Wright, Ordinary Committee Member
- [HET] Nicholas Clements, Ordinary Committee Member
- [LMH] Liam Hammond, Treasurer
- It's semester 2 ... already!
- There's been a Wheel meeting, some new disks are needed.
- Many thanks to  for hating QLC enough to donate a better SSD to UCC.
- Not much has happened over the past few weeks, but we now need to get organised for the upcoming semester :)
Vice President's Report
- Attended the Wheel meeting.
- Working through a number of ongoing tasks & improvements to systems.
- Urgent things put into relevant sections.
- I have now put myself on hostmasters, bracing for incoming email flood.
- Picked up a number of action items for myself that will work through.
- Action items from last week have been on backburner due to concentrating on
sorting out my course for next semester.
- All good now, so will focus on UCC things this week.
- We should dedicate this week to getting operational for semester starting
- Have helped out with fixing and reinstalling desktops yesterday.
- Need to execute on first few weeks of events.
- Priority of mine is to improve the uccportal experience ahead of new signups
this semester, both for new members and door and committee members using it.
- Workflow improvements.
- Remove square payment error from signup flow.
- Explore alternate payment processors that can be integrated.
- Half of the AGM minutes done, nearly there!
- Attended the Wheel meeting. Damn, that went on for a long time.
- Glad I had already eaten before the meeting.
- Got added to Sproket.
I'm a potential new recruit for wheel. Don't know why though. I'm afraid that I'll break something if I touch it.
Have finished digging out the pit for my temple in Minecraft and have started decorating.
- I really need to put a fence around it so I don't die again.
- Got surprised by a raid at UCCianity, damn that was tough. I died 2 times and ended up hiding while [EGG] took care of it.
- Lost my chips and hot chocolate powder in the server room.
- I wonder if any ghosts picked them up?
- Can ghosts eat human food?
- Turns out they were in the cupboard.
- Tried to buy Minecraft, Microsoft didn't approve it seems.
- Conducted various winter break antics.
- Entered the clubroom like once I think.
- ...Will get up to more when semester 2 starts.
Fresher Rep's Report
- Attended a kind-of meeting for the tech club's quiz night. Didn't go very far.
- CFC mentioned wanting to do more collaboration with us.
Didn't do much else :(
Formed an anti-egg zombie league in Minecraft to protect the servers TPS.
- Been working on a 2000's themed poster for the quiz night.
- The 2000's were a strange time.
- Bought an xbox controller for the club.
- Apparently, they go missing easy, so let's not let that happen.
Machine Technical Report
- Two dying 2TB HDDs currently in Motsugo.
- One is only a hot-spare, one is in use.
-  is donating a 2TB SSD as a replacement.
- This is everyone's /home directories, so important.
- Would be nice to get whole array onto SSDs eventually.
- Faster/lower latency.
- 2.5" size would give more flexibility when upgrading servers.
- [MPT] Motions to: Budget $380 to get the second disk.
- [TEC] seconds.
- Still (net)working.
- All desktops now redeployed for use in the room.
- Mostly tested on Monday night, including some fixups, updates and OS
- Thanks to [BOB], [NTU] and [TPG] for help.
- Mostly tested on Monday night, including some fixups, updates and OS
- Corydoras has graphics problems.
Action Items From Previous Meeting
- Talk to Guild about server solutions.
- Poke James to poke people for action items.
- Make the Sem 2 intro of our events poster, THIS WEEK.
- Send [APA] prior work on sponsorship.
- Find the secretary keys for [BLU].
- Look into server cooling Australian company quotes.
- Give [BLU] the annual meeting minutes.
- Submit the Sundowner EMP and make a poster this week.
- Send [BLU] info about eventbrite.
- Write up what the sponsorship pamphlet would look like.
- Send [MPT] info about Australian server cooling companies.
- Talk to his father who works for the company, about what they're willing to do.
- Get a list of all the 1st and 2nd year com-sci units and email unit co-ords of tech talk ideas and to advertise UCC in lectures.
- Wheel Meeting Action Item
- To send wheel and committee a list of who does and doesn’t have an active (paid) UCC membership for 2021.
- Semester is back in a week (ie. 2/08/2021), so locking should be done before then.
- Email door about busy bee, give people one chance with no apologies.
- Make and print a poster on A3 saying we have a controller and VR.
- Look at what we have for engraving (for the controller).
- Get Cam Hall Quiz Night prizes.
- [NTU] wanted to donate a tool chest.
- Not everything in the tool draws is useful, but we can keep what we want.
[TEC] Moves to: Accept the tool chest.
- [MPT] seconds.
Got a wireless x-box controller, budgeted previously.
- Do we want theft equipment to go with it?
- The controller is in the machine room right now.
- Engrave it?
- We have an engraver? Or [EGG] can do it as he has one.
- Make a poster saying we have a controller and VR.
- ACTION [EGG] to: Make and print a poster on A3.
- ACTION [EGG] to: Look at what we have for engraving.
Drinks and Snacks
- Haven't gone on a snack run since last meeting.
- Snack machine is starting to look empty, should go on a food run to make it look full for next semester.
- Need to start thinking about how much food and drinks we need and if we can sell all, if not most of it before their due date.
- [BLU] hasn't checked the mail.
- [MPT] just did, no mail for us.
- July SOC meeting is tomorrow (Wednesday 21 July).
- Who's going?
- [TEC] will go.
- Next Tenancy busy bee & consultation isn't until Thursday 12 August.
- We should run our own busy bee the weekend beforehand again.
- Plenty of advance notice for door & anyone else interested.
- Email going out as soon as possible and then reminder a week before our own busy bee.
- Our busy bee will be August 7th.
- ACTION [BLU] to: Email door about busy bee, give people one chance with no apologies.
Event planning for Semester 2
- Need to nail down week 2/3 events at minimum this week.
- ACTION [TEC] to: Make the Sem 2 intro of our events poster, THIS WEEK.
- Welcome back sundowner WEEK 1, next week on Friday, unless of a major event on the same day, then it'll be Thursday.
- ACTION [MPT] to: Submit the EMP and make a poster this week.
- [MTL] Tech Talk about canned talk, Week 2.
- Club Carnival, WEEK 2.
- Need to follow up on confirmation.
- Minecraft, WEEK 3.
- Poster needs to be submitted next week.
LINUX Workshop: Getting Started with Your Own OS, WEEK 3.
Ben, Unity talk?
- Tech panel Q&A.
- Sales Force, web service company is happy to talk about what they do? We could host them?
- ACTION [HET] to: Talk to his father who works for the company, about what they're willing to do.
Cameron Hall Quiz night
- Have asked the Tav if 2/9 (Thursday) is available.
- Will start at 7pm and go until late. 11pm?
- In the past venue hire was $440.
- Need to confirm that and ask about space limitations.
- We will need to ask about AV equipment, but it should come with the booking.
- Last year catering was pizza and chips.
- This worked well and we’re happy to do something similar again. 2 pizzas and a container of chips per table?
- Need to ask the Tav about catering costs.
- Usually, we don’t need to pay too much for security.
- There will often just be security for the first hour.
- Need to ask Tav about security.
- Ticket pricing will most likely be impacted by venue hire and spaces available.
- 2019 pricing scheme:
- $15 per person.
- Or early bird $100 for a table of 8 (which is $20 discount).
- 2019 pricing scheme should run at profit.
- We can’t start advertising until EMP is finished.
- Alistair is up for making posters.
- Will do online ticket selling.
- Is our QPay working?
- UCC might need to help Panto with getting it set up.
- UCC needs to buy prizes.
- 2018: Around 80 people attending.
- This is like 10 tables.
- Good estimate: 100 people.
- Will split profits evenly.
- Will have 10 rounds with 4 club rounds.
- Will have side minigames running throughout the night.
- Have got a marketing theme. People will see it when we start to advertise :P
PCS and UWASCA won't be involved.
ACTION [MPT] to: Send [BLU] info about eventbrite.
- ACTION [EGG] to: Get prizes.
Tech Clubs Quiz Night
- Attempted to hold a meeting, but only CFC showed up.
- Discussed a bit about the event with them.
- Have posted a When-Is-Good, awaiting responses for a time to have a meeting.
- No change, have a meeting tomorrow.
- [BLU] has started a draft email to all of the 1st and 2nd year Comp-Sci unit co-ords.
- Will go over it with [MPT] after the meeting.
- Want basic posters for each tech talk, basic posters. Weekly template?
- [NTU]: Treasurer report: account balances?
|Memberships & Smaller Sales (eg. Printer)||$400.21|
|Server Running Costs||$300.12|
- [TPG]: Get list of accounts to be locked.
[BLU] has started that.
UWA IET would like to co-host a networking event with us.
- Brief rundown of the event,
- Date: 16 Sept 2021.
- Venue: Indian Ocean Marine OR Watersports facility.
- Details: case study with industry reps working with students. the aim is to have a small ratio between industry reps and students for heightened networking opportunity.
- We will accept.
[MPT] can help [BLU] to write a corporate response email.
On the website, have folders for different types of events? ie. have a folder for Quiz Night info from previous meetings.
Can search through minutes, update wiki with other events.
- [BLU]'s project this semester.
Database on portal with active members.
Mussle has a database of sql that can query manually to get more info from portal, Secretary should have a read only role at the least.
[MPT]: Need more isopropyl alcohol.
- [MPT] Moves to: Budget $80 to buy more.
- [TEC] seconds.
CFC mentioned wanting to collaborate more.
- Networking event next year.
- Should set up a monthly chat.
- Have a monthly chat with the other tech clubs.
Nothing at this stage but we like it.
[RME] is offering $200 for an ipad we can connect to the square.
- Will consider it a bit more.
A tablet would be useful.
Room capacity increased too full.
- What is the full capacity of the clubroom?