UCC Meeting on 6th July 2021

UCC Committee Meeting Minutes 2021-07-20

  • Last meeting minutes uploaded to the website?

Attendance

  • [TEC] Timothy Chapman, President
  • [MPT] James Arcus, Vice President
  • [BLU] Grace Fowler, Secretary
  • [EGG] Alex Barker, Fresher Representative
  • [APA] Alistair Parkinson, Ordinary Committee Member
  • [OKC] Benjamin Wright, Ordinary Committee Member
  • [HET] Nicholas Clements, Ordinary Committee Member

Apologies

  • [LMH] Liam Hammond, Treasurer

Absent

Start Time

  • 14.23

Committee Reports

President's Report

  • It's semester 2 ... already!
  • There's been a Wheel meeting, some new disks are needed.
  • Many thanks to [333] for hating QLC enough to donate a better SSD to UCC.
  • Not much has happened over the past few weeks, but we now need to get organised for the upcoming semester :)

Vice President's Report

  • Attended the Wheel meeting.
  • Working through a number of ongoing tasks & improvements to systems.
  • Urgent things put into relevant sections.
  • I have now put myself on hostmasters, bracing for incoming email flood.
  • Picked up a number of action items for myself that will work through.
  • Action items from last week have been on backburner due to concentrating on
    sorting out my course for next semester.
  • All good now, so will focus on UCC things this week.
  • We should dedicate this week to getting operational for semester starting
    next week.
  • Have helped out with fixing and reinstalling desktops yesterday.
  • Need to execute on first few weeks of events.
  • Priority of mine is to improve the uccportal experience ahead of new signups
    this semester, both for new members and door and committee members using it.
    • Workflow improvements.
    • Remove square payment error from signup flow.
    • Explore alternate payment processors that can be integrated.
  • Half of the AGM minutes done, nearly there!

Secretary's Report

  • Attended the Wheel meeting. Damn, that went on for a long time.
  • Glad I had already eaten before the meeting.
  • Got added to Sproket.
  • I'm a potential new recruit for wheel. Don't know why though. I'm afraid that I'll break something if I touch it.

  • Have finished digging out the pit for my temple in Minecraft and have started decorating.

  • I really need to put a fence around it so I don't die again.
  • Got surprised by a raid at UCCianity, damn that was tough. I died 2 times and ended up hiding while [EGG] took care of it.
  • Lost my chips and hot chocolate powder in the server room.
  • I wonder if any ghosts picked them up?
    • Can ghosts eat human food?
    • Turns out they were in the cupboard.

Treasurer's Report

  • Tried to buy Minecraft, Microsoft didn't approve it seems.
  • Conducted various winter break antics.
  • Entered the clubroom like once I think.
  • ...Will get up to more when semester 2 starts.

Fresher Rep's Report

  • Attended a kind-of meeting for the tech club's quiz night. Didn't go very far.
  • CFC mentioned wanting to do more collaboration with us.
  • Didn't do much else :(

  • Formed an anti-egg zombie league in Minecraft to protect the servers TPS.

OCM Reports

  • [APA]
  • Been working on a 2000's themed poster for the quiz night.
    • The 2000's were a strange time.
  • Bought an xbox controller for the club.
    • Apparently, they go missing easy, so let's not let that happen.

Machine Technical Report

Servers

  • Two dying 2TB HDDs currently in Motsugo.
    • One is only a hot-spare, one is in use.
    • [333] is donating a 2TB SSD as a replacement.
    • This is everyone's /home directories, so important.
    • Would be nice to get whole array onto SSDs eventually.
      • Faster/lower latency.
      • 2.5" size would give more flexibility when upgrading servers.
  • [MPT] Motions to: Budget $380 to get the second disk.
  • [TEC] seconds.
  • Unanimous.

Network

  • Still (net)working.

Desktops

  • All desktops now redeployed for use in the room.
    • Mostly tested on Monday night, including some fixups, updates and OS
      reinstalls.
    • Thanks to [BOB], [NTU] and [TPG] for help.
  • Corydoras has graphics problems.

Miscellaneous

Action Items From Previous Meeting

[TEC]

  • Talk to Guild about server solutions.
  • Ongoing.
  • Poke James to poke people for action items.
  • Ongoing.
  • Make the Sem 2 intro of our events poster, THIS WEEK.
  • Ongoing.

[MPT]

  • Send [APA] prior work on sponsorship.
  • Ongoing.
  • Find the secretary keys for [BLU].
  • Ongoing.
  • Look into server cooling Australian company quotes.
  • Ongoing.
  • Give [BLU] the annual meeting minutes.
  • Ongoing.
  • Submit the Sundowner EMP and make a poster this week.
  • Ongoing.
  • Send [BLU] info about eventbrite.
  • Ongoing.

[APA]

  • Write up what the sponsorship pamphlet would look like.
  • Ongoing.

[HET]

  • Send [MPT] info about Australian server cooling companies.
  • Ongoing.
  • Talk to his father who works for the company, about what they're willing to do.
  • Ongoing.

[BLU]

  • Get a list of all the 1st and 2nd year com-sci units and email unit co-ords of tech talk ideas and to advertise UCC in lectures.
  • Done.
  • Wheel Meeting Action Item
  • To send wheel and committee a list of who does and doesn’t have an active (paid) UCC membership for 2021.
    • Semester is back in a week (ie. 2/08/2021), so locking should be done before then.
    • Done.
  • Email door about busy bee, give people one chance with no apologies.
  • Ongoing.

[EGG]

  • Make and print a poster on A3 saying we have a controller and VR.
  • Ongoing.
  • Look at what we have for engraving (for the controller).
  • Ongoing.
  • Get Cam Hall Quiz Night prizes.
  • Ongoing.

Other

New equipment

  • [NTU] wanted to donate a tool chest.
  • Not everything in the tool draws is useful, but we can keep what we want.
  • [TEC] Moves to: Accept the tool chest.

    • [MPT] seconds.
    • Unanimous.
  • Got a wireless x-box controller, budgeted previously.

  • Do we want theft equipment to go with it?
    • The controller is in the machine room right now.
  • Engrave it?
    • We have an engraver? Or [EGG] can do it as he has one.
  • Make a poster saying we have a controller and VR.
  • ACTION [EGG] to: Make and print a poster on A3.
  • ACTION [EGG] to: Look at what we have for engraving.

Drinks and Snacks

  • Haven't gone on a snack run since last meeting.
  • Snack machine is starting to look empty, should go on a food run to make it look full for next semester.
  • Need to start thinking about how much food and drinks we need and if we can sell all, if not most of it before their due date.

External Entities

Mail

  • [BLU] hasn't checked the mail.
  • [MPT] just did, no mail for us.

Guild, SOC

  • July SOC meeting is tomorrow (Wednesday 21 July).
    • Who's going?
    • [TEC] will go.
  • Next Tenancy busy bee & consultation isn't until Thursday 12 August.
    • We should run our own busy bee the weekend beforehand again.
    • Plenty of advance notice for door & anyone else interested.
    • Email going out as soon as possible and then reminder a week before our own busy bee.
    • Our busy bee will be August 7th.
    • ACTION [BLU] to: Email door about busy bee, give people one chance with no apologies.

Other affairs

Events

Event planning for Semester 2

  • Need to nail down week 2/3 events at minimum this week.
  • ACTION [TEC] to: Make the Sem 2 intro of our events poster, THIS WEEK.
  • Welcome back sundowner WEEK 1, next week on Friday, unless of a major event on the same day, then it'll be Thursday.
    • ACTION [MPT] to: Submit the EMP and make a poster this week.
  • [MTL] Tech Talk about canned talk, Week 2.
  • Club Carnival, WEEK 2.
    • Need to follow up on confirmation.
  • Minecraft, WEEK 3.
    • Poster needs to be submitted next week.
  • LINUX Workshop: Getting Started with Your Own OS, WEEK 3.

  • Ben, Unity talk?

  • Tech panel Q&A.
  • Sales Force, web service company is happy to talk about what they do? We could host them?
    • ACTION [HET] to: Talk to his father who works for the company, about what they're willing to do.

Cameron Hall Quiz night

  • Have asked the Tav if 2/9 (Thursday) is available.
  • Will start at 7pm and go until late. 11pm?
  • In the past venue hire was $440.
  • Need to confirm that and ask about space limitations.
  • We will need to ask about AV equipment, but it should come with the booking.
  • Last year catering was pizza and chips.
  • This worked well and we’re happy to do something similar again. 2 pizzas and a container of chips per table?
  • Need to ask the Tav about catering costs.
  • Usually, we don’t need to pay too much for security.
  • There will often just be security for the first hour.
  • Need to ask Tav about security.
  • Ticket pricing will most likely be impacted by venue hire and spaces available.
  • 2019 pricing scheme:
    • $15 per person.
    • Or early bird $100 for a table of 8 (which is $20 discount).
    • 2019 pricing scheme should run at profit.
  • We can’t start advertising until EMP is finished.
  • Alistair is up for making posters.
  • Will do online ticket selling.
  • Is our QPay working?
  • UCC might need to help Panto with getting it set up.
  • UCC needs to buy prizes.
  • 2018: Around 80 people attending.
  • This is like 10 tables.
  • Good estimate: 100 people.
  • Will split profits evenly.
  • Will have 10 rounds with 4 club rounds.
  • Will have side minigames running throughout the night.
  • Have got a marketing theme. People will see it when we start to advertise :P
  • PCS and UWASCA won't be involved.

  • ACTION [MPT] to: Send [BLU] info about eventbrite.

  • ACTION [EGG] to: Get prizes.

Tech Clubs Quiz Night

  • Attempted to hold a meeting, but only CFC showed up.
  • Discussed a bit about the event with them.
  • Have posted a When-Is-Good, awaiting responses for a time to have a meeting.

Redacted

  • No change, have a meeting tomorrow.

Tech Talks

  • [BLU] has started a draft email to all of the 1st and 2nd year Comp-Sci unit co-ords.
  • Will go over it with [MPT] after the meeting.
  • Want basic posters for each tech talk, basic posters. Weekly template?

General Business

  • [NTU]: Treasurer report: account balances?
Revenue
Food Sales $678.13
Drink Sales $1,463.90
Memberships & Smaller Sales (eg. Printer) $400.21
Total $2,542.24
Payments
Computer Parts $2,214.14
Consumables $1,153.10
Clubroom Maintenance $552.20
Clubroom Supplies $454.87
Events $219.95
Server Running Costs $300.12
Total $4,894.38
  • [TPG]: Get list of accounts to be locked.
  • [BLU] has started that.

  • UWA IET would like to co-host a networking event with us.

  • Brief rundown of the event,
  • Date: 16 Sept 2021.
  • Venue: Indian Ocean Marine OR Watersports facility.
  • Details: case study with industry reps working with students. the aim is to have a small ratio between industry reps and students for heightened networking opportunity.
  • We will accept.
  • [MPT] can help [BLU] to write a corporate response email.

  • On the website, have folders for different types of events? ie. have a folder for Quiz Night info from previous meetings.

  • Can search through minutes, update wiki with other events.

    • [BLU]'s project this semester.
  • Database on portal with active members.

  • Mussle has a database of sql that can query manually to get more info from portal, Secretary should have a read only role at the least.

  • [MPT]: Need more isopropyl alcohol.

  • [MPT] Moves to: Budget $80 to buy more.
  • [TEC] seconds.
  • Unanimous.

  • CFC mentioned wanting to collaborate more.

  • Networking event next year.
  • Should set up a monthly chat.
  • Have a monthly chat with the other tech clubs.
  • Nothing at this stage but we like it.

  • [RME] is offering $200 for an ipad we can connect to the square.

  • Will consider it a bit more.
  • A tablet would be useful.

  • Room capacity increased too full.

  • What is the full capacity of the clubroom?

End Time

  • 15.26