UCC Meeting on 11th May 2021

UCC Committee Meeting Minutes 2021-05-11

  • Last meeting minutes uploaded to the website.

Attendance

  • [TEC] Timothy Chapman, President
  • [MPT] James Arcus, Vice President
  • [BLU] Grace Fowler, Secretary
  • [LMH] Liam Hammond, Treasurer
  • [EGG] Alex Barker, Fresher Representative
  • [APA] Alistair Parkinson, Ordinary Committee Member
  • [OKC] Benjamin Wright, Ordinary Committee Member

Apologies

  • [HET] Nicholas Clements, Ordinary Committee Member

Absent

Start Time

  • 16.06

Committee Reports

President's Report

  • Emailed Chloe (Tenancy Pres) asking to chat about Machine Room options, yet to hear back
  • On the topic of machine room options: *shakes fist at [HET]*
  • Would be good to schedule GM for end of semester to set plans for any during-break-revamping
  • Would be good to see more people expressing an interest in doing tech talks
  • Think of it as a fun way to talk about something you like with a small audience :)
  • Should there be Tech talks during semester break? I don't know, share your thoughts

Vice President's Report

  • Was away for a couple of weeks, so haven't done much
  • Forwarded on the notice of the Tenancy committee meeting to the rest of committee
  • Somehow both my student and club emails are getting them, but no-one else in UCC is
  • ACTION: [MPT] Ask Chloe to include [email protected] on the Tenancy mailing list
  • Brought back the money box with the remaining Charity Vigil cash so it can be banked
  • I think [LMH] did that?
  • Passed on a job posting from Atif Mansoor from CSSE
  • Posted to [email protected] and Discord, maybe should also throw something on the FB group?
  • Interested in doing part 3 of my Linux tech talks (as per email) though not sure
    whether to do it next week or after exams

Secretary's Report

  • I found the seal in the secretary's cupboard. Turns out it didn't walk away ;)
  • Why don't we have any post it notes? I can't remember what I needed some for, but I sure needed some then!
  • Attended the Tenancy meeting myself. Leave it to the poor fresher who doesn't have a clue about what's going on :(
  • I'm definitely not a weeb, cause I don't watch anime 24/7. Though I'm (something?) cause I don't know the difference between the Crab Rave and Neon Genesis something song.
  • Had an.... interesting talk in the clubroom on Monday.
  • Participated in coming up with terrible book blurbs with [EGG], [LHM] and [LIZ]
  • Was baffled when PCS came in on Monday and took over the clubroom. Is this going to happen frequently?
  • Got someone to talk to wheel about maybe performing a penetration test on the website.
  • Brought new whiteboard markers and eraser. Donating the whiteboard marker holder. Will send the details to [LHM] to be reimbursed.
  • Had some issues with a new registration, but it got sorted out.
  • Completed the quizzes on Social and got C++, Javascript and Keyboard.
  • Goz showed me how to connect to IRC and tmux.

Treasurer's Report

  • Emptied safe again. Westpac is open Mon-Fri finally!
  • Got the email back about adobe licences, they are very expensive.
  • Sorted out various payments for club members.

Fresher Rep's Report

  • Did a food run with Alice. Sacrificed some brain cells as she closed the boot on my head!
  • Also bought paper towels. Now we can protect ourselves from [BLU]'s spilled milk.
  • Got Com Sci/Data Sci/Software Eng discord to follow UCC events channel.
  • Added a League and Genshin emote on the discord. Need [TEC] to update the reaction role message.
  • Held a discord poll to find the best day for a General Meeting. It was Wednesday.
  • Completed multiple "Which x are you" quizzes. I am a mouse, c++ and php apparently.
  • Forcefully attended a PCS talk that happened in UCC spontaneously.
  • Caught [BLU] committing voter fraud. We should imprison her with the frog.
  • Started collecting kombucha bottles like infinity stones. Just you wait...

OCM Reports

HET

  • Looked at some providers for server cooling but have yet to get a quote on how much it would cost due to assignment work will attempt to do during this week when I get the assignments done.

Machine Technical Report

Servers

Network

  • The Portal security certificate was down last week. Has been fixed by [MTL]

Desktops

  • Apparently since the CPU cooler replacement, you can hear a buzz/click on the Mic line on Christmas.
  • [DBA] may have fixed the bugged capacitor on Corvo.

Miscellaneous

  • Cerberus broke, got fixed and broke again. Now it won't turn on at all.
  • 3D printer clogged.

Past Action Items

[TEC]

  • Talk to Guild about machine room solutions.
  • Trying.
  • Help [EGG] remove old door members from the system.
  • Ongoing.

[MPT]

  • Show people how to be door after the renewals close.
  • Ongoing.
  • Send [APA] prior work on sponsorship.
  • Ongoing
  • Bully rest of committee until they give him their darkest secrets to pass on to the ACNC.
  • Ongoing.
  • Find the secretary keys for [BLU].
  • Ongoing.

[LMH]

  • Look into cost of Adobe licenses.
  • Done.

[BLU]

  • Look into extra copies of Guild keyrings for exec.
  • Done. Guild disallows copies.
  • Send an email to [email protected] for tech talk ideas.
  • Done.
  • Get more whiteboard markers.
  • Done. Time to draw more frogs :)

[EGG]

  • Cerberus photo board.
  • Ongoing. Cerberus is just straight up broken now.
  • Make a poll on discord to find out what time suits most people for a general meeting to figure out what to do with the cash reserve money.
  • Done. Result is Wednesday.
  • Ask a Computer/Data Science & Software Eng server moderator to add UCC announcements to the server.
  • Done.

[APA]

  • [APA] to write up what the sponsorship pamphlet would look like.
  • Ongoing.

[HET]

  • Look into server cooling Australian company quotes.
  • Ongoing.

Other

  • Wheel to help new committee get uccpass setup.
  • Ongoing.

New equipment

  • [BLU] donated whiteboard marker holder.
  • Committee accepts the donation.

Drinks and Snacks

  • [BLU] and [LHM] filled up the snack and drink machine.

External Entities

Mail

  • [BLU] checked the mail.
  • No mail. It's lonely here without Westpac hassling us...

Guild, SOC

  • [BLU] attended the Tenancy meeting.
  • Cameron Hall update - Guild is staying in consultation with clubs. Any more idea about renovations, email Chloe.
  • Contracts - Club insurance contracts have been signed by Guild or UWA? executive team. Should recieve them soon.
  • Keys - Ordering a key is now $33. Guild will cover the cost from February. You can't make copies of Guild keys like the door and cupboard ones.
  • Campus Management - They will pay the full cost of functionality of clubrooms and damaged items not working. Either Campus Management or the Club will pay.
  • Security - There was a recent break-in into a clubroom. Stuff left in your clubroom is at your own risk. Anything you lose above $2000, you could claim back.
  • Maintenance and Cleaning - Still on same schedule as before. New fire and first aid equipment has been ordered.
    • Lights in Cameron Hall should be working now. Not sure if that means the stairwell landing or loft lights.
  • Jackie's sign got printed.
  • Chloe added @committee.

  • Key budget has been revoked.

Other affairs

  • Someone from UWA Ethical Hackers offered to do a penetration test on our website.
  • There was a bit of talk about it on discord about safety and privacy issues, but some wheel members and [TEC] think it would be a good idea.
  • The person will talk more about it next week.
  • Jarcus issues? 3?
  • Jarcus would be interested in negotiation of terms.

Events

Redacted

  • Jackie sent out a new when is good on discord.
  • Still haven't had a meeting yet.

Tech Talks

  • [BLU] sent email to [email protected] asking for ideas.
  • [BOB] suggested a remote UCC access talk. Wiki page/other written form may be more suitable for this.
  • [MTL] has a canned talk on the Clifford Stoll book "The Cuckoo's Egg" that might be suitable for a tech talk.
  • [MPT] would like to do his part 3 Linux talk maybe next week or after exams.
  • [BHP] volunteer

General Business

  • Send a message to PCS saying for them to ask us if they're doing something, we would be happy about it.
  • Short Minecraft LAN proposed by Alistair. Virtual machine on a server, setup Minecraft. Need to plan a day.
  • Regular game jam.

End Time

  • 16.47