UCC Meeting on 27th April 2021

UCC Committee Meeting Minutes 2021-04-27

  • Last meeting minutes uploaded to the website.

Attendance

  • [TEC] Timothy Chapman, President
  • [BLU] Grace Fowler, Secretary
  • [EGG] Alex Barker, Fresher Representative
  • [HET] Nicholas Clements, Ordinary Committee Member
  • [OKC] Benjamin Wright, Ordinary Committee Member

Absent

  • [MPT] James Arcus, Vice President
  • [Liam] Liam Hammond, Treasurer
  • [APA] Alistair Parkinson, Ordinary Committee Member

Start Time

  • 16.37

Committee Reports

President's Report

  • Talked with [LMH] about invoices, we discovered some emails were going to his spam, should be better now.
  • For some reason [BLU] and [EGG] came along to the SOCPAC meeting. I don't understand it, but I'm glad for the company.
  • Chatted with Chloe (tenancy chair) briefly, amenable to us improving the clubroom (painting walls, replacing desks, etc.)
  • Been thinking about the server room: I see 3 options, if we're going to give ourselves a chance to do something we should get moving.
  • Gah, online uni again ... I'm getting flashbacks.
  • Tech talks are postponed by one week because I like in-person interaction. Speaking into the void is much less fun.

Vice President's Report

Secretary's Report

  • Figured out how to upload minutes to the website. Though I can only do it on a linux machine.
  • Finally signed the WestPac form.
  • Had three incidents of bad luck in one day. Though the last two weren't my fault.
  • Realised I only go to Unigames for food.
  • Found the best hot chocolate place on campus. Still meaning to try UniSFA's hot chocolate, that they apparently have?
  • Became carrot buddies with [EGG]. Why do people find it weird that I don't peel my carrot at home?

Treasurer's Report

  • Paid Cameron Hall's Charity Vigil donations.
  • Re-emptied the safe, though the money still needs to head down to Westpac (who are somehow only open on Mondays now?)
  • Paid for some invoices that were overdue.
  • Drank most of UCC's sugar-free lemonades (until we ran out of stock).

Fresher Rep's Report

  • Turned the discord into a community server to allow announcement and info channels.
  • This can be reverted if desired.
  • Created a list of people to be removed from door, discord roles should be updated by the meeting.
  • Got the UCC GitHub account to have access to the UCC github page thanks to [TEC] and other wheel members.
  • Helped [BLU] upload minutes to the website. Pretty much just pressed buttons until it worked. If anything is broken, I blame [BLU] :)
  • Discovered Westpacs opening times. I'm glad I'm not exec.
  • Devoured UCC's sugar-free lemonade stock with [LMH] and Alice. Turns out they did go quickly.
  • Struggled with an unnamed person's milk spill. Hopefully the room doesn't smell like my grandma's house after quarantine...
  • Added full stops to my report to appease our secretary goddess [BLU]. Please don't smite me.

OCM Reports

Machine Technical Report

Servers

  • Airconditioning for servers isn't cheap.
  • [TEC] chatted with [GOZ] about it, basically spend lots of money (around 10 grand), janky solution or uni politics.
  • [TEC] will talk to Guild about it.
  • And someone who does server cooling and get a quote. Maybe [LMH] or [HET] could do that?
  • Google which companies are Australia.
  • Action: [HET] to look into server cooling Australian company quotes.
  • Action: [TEC] to talk to Guild about solutions.

Network

  • Nothing to report.

Desktops

  • Corvo motherboard capacitor was knocked lose.
  • [DBA] thinks he can solder that back on, maybe next week if quarantine lifts.

Miscellaneous

  • Water Access.
  • Nobody trusts the loft water, other water is quite far.
  • Could install a water cooler?
  • Been mentioned in the past, issue with refilling.
  • Don't need a water cooler at the moment.
  • Get some disposable cups next cleaning supply run.
  • Email moderator lists have been updated to the same password.
  • The incident counter will reach at least 10 for the first time thanks to quarantine!

Action Items From Previous Meeting

  • [EGG] to do cerberus photo board.
  • Ongoing. Hesitant to implement a janky solution.
  • [LMH] to look into cost of Adobe licenses.
  • Ongoing.
  • Would like to get a number price.
  • Wheel to help new committee get uccpass setup.
  • Ongoing.
  • [MPT] to show people how to be door after the renewals close.
  • Will organise a date.
  • [MPT] to send [APA] prior work on sponsorship.
  • Ongoing.
  • [APA] to write up what the pamphlet would look like.
  • Ongoing.
  • [MPT] - bully rest of committee until they give him their darkest secrets to pass on to the ACNC.
  • Ongoing.
  • [MPT] to help [BLU] figure out how to upload the minutes to the website.
  • Done. ([BLU] figured it out with help from [EGG]).
  • [MPT] to find the secretary keys for [BLU].
  • Ongoing.
  • [BLU] to sign the WestPac form.
  • Done.
  • [EGG] to make a poll on discord to find out what time suits most people for a general meeting to figure out what to do with the cash reserve money.
  • Ongoing.
  • [MPT] and [LMH] to sort out the pledge form for Charity Vigil to donate.
  • Done.

New equipment

Drinks and Snacks

  • [EGG], [BLU] and [LMH] refilled the drink and snacks machine.
  • Random was added. University Chaos Club
  • Alice and [EGG] will go on a food run soon and get sugar free drinks.
  • And Mountain Dew especially for [BLU].

External Entities

Mail

  • [BLU] checked the mail last Wednesday.
  • There wasn't any mail.

Guild, SOC

  • [TEC], [BLU] and [EGG] went to the SOCPAC meeting.
  • Voted no for the Taylor Swift and Robotics club.
  • They both got in.
  • O-Day grant came through.
  • Enviro grant could potentially be used for more environmentally cooling.

Tenancy

  • Chloe is happy for us to improve the clubroom.
  • It does look a bit drab :(
  • Received the key for the cupboard.
  • Should action someone to investigate obtaining extras for the exec keyrings.
  • Action: [BLU] to take care of it.

Other affairs

Events

Fresher VR

  • Around 10 people showed up.
  • It was a success, though next time it would be great if more people came.
  • Probably don't schedule it on a study break.
  • And advertise earlier.
  • [APA] was talking about doing another event after Fresher VR, maybe a Minecraft LAN?

Tech Talk - Linux 3

  • Was cancelled.
  • Might happen after the LaTeX talk.

Build and Break a PC

  • Event ran well.
  • Attendance wasn't high.
  • Engagement was good.
  • Saw new people.
  • Upgraded two pc's and managed to break one. It was in the name after all 😋

Tech Talk - LaTeX

  • Delayed to next week.

Moar Tech Talks?

  • Someone talked about having a Unity tech talk.
  • Ask people what subjects they want to have a talk about.
  • Action: [BLU] to send an email to [email protected] for ideas for tech talks.
  • Talk about Unity and VPN idea.

Redacted

  • One person resigned. Will that club have two representatives, or will they have another one fill in?
  • Still haven't had any meeting yet.

Other

Door

Door Re-applications

  • To remove:
  • po0rspirit
  • thunderwielder
  • nerfqueen
  • donsuth
  • mallow
  • shelrock1
  • voltane
  • random58
  • bonsaibob
  • Discord roles have been updated by [EGG] apart from:
  • shelrock1
  • random58

  • Action: [EGG] and [TEC] to help him, to remove the people above from the door role in the system.

General Business

  • [BLU] Motions to: Budget $15 for new whiteboard markers.
  • [TEC] seconds.
  • Unanimous.

  • Action: [BLU] to get whiteboard markers so we can draw more frogs.

  • Frog drawing competition anyone?

  • Action: [EGG] to ask a Computer/Data Science & Software Eng server moderator to add UCC announcements to the server.

End Time

  • 17.12