UCC Meeting on 25th June 2021

UCC Committee Meeting Minutes 2021-06-25

  • Last 2 minutes not uploaded yet.

Attendance

  • [TEC] Timothy Chapman, President
  • [MPT] James Arcus, Vice President
  • [LMH] Liam Hammond, Treasurer
  • [EGG] Alex Barker, Fresher Representative
  • [HET] Nicholas Clements, Ordinary Committee Member
  • [OKC] Benjamin Wright, Ordinary Committee Member

  • [BOB]

  • [NTU]

Apologies

  • [BLU] Grace Fowler, Secretary
  • [APA] Alistair Parkinson, Ordinary Committee Member

Start Time

  • 14.16

Committee Reports

President's Report

Vice President's Report

  • Went to subcom meeting, reported below
  • On a personal note, things are finally moving with my studies again
    • Yay!
  • Responded to emails from UniIT Cybersecurity about our SSH setup
    • Have been responding and consulting with wheel
  • Showed Kelvin (Guild staff (IT & some facilities stuff)) and Lauren (Guild
    OH&S) around when they came to inspect the machine room
  • See info below in Guild section

Secretary's Report

Treasurer's Report

  • Semester grants- can claim back about $5,000

Fresher Rep's Report

  • Went on a massive food run! We have stuffed the cupboards filled with junk for all our gamer needs.
  • Malteasers and Kinder were very popular and we are almost out already.
  • Had to test a bunch of the vending machine slots with oddly shaped snacks... I'm sorry [LMH], good luck reading through dispense logs.

OCM Reports

Machine Technical Report

Servers

Network

  • Queries received from UniIT about our SSH server setup
    • [MPT] discussing with IT rep
    • Have been consulting with wheel before replying
    • ACTION: [MPT] respond to last email from end of last week

Desktops

Miscellaneous

Action Items From Previous Meeting

[TEC]

  • Talk to Guild about server solutions.
  • Had email discussion with Tenancy. Meeting should happen (see below).

[MPT]

  • Show people how to be door after the renewals close.
  • Ongoing.
  • Send [APA] prior work on sponsorship.
  • Ongoing
  • Find the secretary keys for [BLU].
  • Ongoing.

[APA]

  • [APA] to write up what the sponsorship pamphlet would look like.
    • Ongoing.

[HET]

  • Look into server cooling Australian company quotes.
    • Passed to [MPT].

Other

New equipment

  • Donation of two NVIDIA 7xx series graphics cards by [muckguppy]
    • [MPT] moves we accept the donation, [EGG] seconds.
      • Unanimous. Motion passed.

Drinks and Snacks

  • [EGG] & Alice went on a food run
    • Kinder & Malteasers were very popular. University Chocolate Club?

External Entities

Mail

Guild, SOC

  • Tenancy busy bee and consulatation dates are out

    • First date is Monday 5 July
    • Busy bee 12pm - 1pm, consutation 1pm - 2 pm
    • Unigames is running a club clean up on the Saturday beforehand (3 July)
    • [MPT] recommends we run ours at the same time
      • Discuss with other CH clubs
      • Probably too short notice to make mandatory for door members
      • We should also decide on what to do for future dates and make
        clean-up events for those, too
  • Machine room status

    • Kelvin and Lauren from Guild staff came to inspect machine room
    • Have received follow up email forwarded from Chloe (Tenancy chair)
    • Some issues have been identified in writing
    • 3 main options as discussed in email
      1. Fancy new server enclosures
        • +More visibility
        • +More space
        • -$$$
      2. Rebuild compact machine room in opposite corner with glass doors
        • +More visibility
        • +Slightly more space
        • -$$
      3. Relocate to networking closet
        • +Lots more space
        • +Cheap
        • -Uni politics
        • -No servers in UCC
      4. Extra from [MPT]: Do minimum required to bring to code
        • +Low effort
        • +Cheap
        • -Visibility & space stays the same
    • [BOB]: Solution should depend on how much guild will assist, due to the significant financial costs.

      • Unfunded: do minimum to bring to code
      • Funded: glass door, glass walls and do it properly
    • [MPT]: Tenanacies budget last year was $1000

      • We will need to pitch this to higher levels of guild to get significant funding
    • Would like a list of all code violations
    • Meeting will hopefully happen somewhere between 5th-9th of july
    • Person who goes to the meeting needs to have authority to deal with uni politics, contractors and know the design we want
    • We should do what we can at the moment such as pull things off the roof and clean inside
    • We should gather and analyse our options before the meeting

    Other affairs

    • Our ACNC Annual Information Statement is due before 30 June (next week)
    • ACTION: [MPT] to follow up with [BLU] and [LMH]
    • ACTION: [BLU][MPT] Complete 2020 AIS with financial info from [LMH]
  • Door training, will be run by [MPT].

    • Not compulsary, but recommended.
    • Run another session afterwards for people who couldn't show up

Events

Quiz night

  • Action [TEC] to get [BLU] and [APA] to write up something for this section.
  • We could run a Tech club quiz night. [TEC] is discussing with other tech clubs.

Redacted

  • Pricing structure and theme agreed to by all clubs as per last meeting
  • Subcommittee has all the key info from the venue
  • EMP is submitted, waiting for Guild Events to progress
  • Everyone to think about preparing advertising

-[TEC] leaves at 2.51. [MPT] is now chairing.

Tech Talks

General Business

  • [BOB]: can we please get the couches professionally cleaned, or new couches?

    • [MPT]: Investigated some options
    • Option 1: New couches ~$1,000 (priced 2 seater + 3 seater from IKEA)
      • Couches need to be robust. Arms & backs get stood on and sat on.
      • Microsuade is easier to clean and keeps well.
      • Best value would likely be second hand ones.
    • Option 2: Professional couch cleaning ~$150 (quick quote of $30 per seat)
      • Should be done anyway as we are looking for new couches, unless we find one quickly.
      • Going upstairs could charge more from [MPT]'s research
    • Option 3: Hire upholstry cleaning machine ~$70 ($43.60 for 24hr hire from Bunnings + $10.50/bottle cleaning solution)
      • Could spread hire cost out with other clubs if we do cleanup on Saturday
  • [MPT] moves to budget $250 to get couches cleaned. [LMH] seconds.

    • Unanimous.
  • [EGG]: Some way to dispense things from the vending machine without charging an account would be useful for testing new snacks in the slots.

    • [BOB] says keypad can be used when door is open
      • [MPT] just tested- it does lock when door is open.
    • "dispense -c refund" could refund multiple things. Still not very practical.
    • Feature request to allow dispensing for free while door is open without the need to log in or charge an account
  • Alice has applied to be on door.

  • Not enough committee members present to vote.
  • [MPT] moves to defer to next week.

    • Unanimous
  • Penetration testing

  • No word back from Ethical Hackers

  • UCCPass

  • Seems to be working as intended now

Meeting Closed

  • 3.08