Experimental Dapper and suspend2 packages
Quick start | Known issues | Contact
Name Last modified Size Description
HEADER.html 2006-06-17 03:30 159
patches-126.96.36.199.tar.bz2 2006-07-15 23:29 100K
The suspend2 dapper kernels have now moved into a repository. The repository
lives here. Instructions for using the
repository are below.
Quick start for the full Ubuntu experience (ie, usplash too):
- Add this line to your /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://dagobah.ucc.asn.au/ubuntu-suspend2 dapper/
- Run apt-get update
- Run apt-get install suspend2
- Add "resume2=swap:/dev/hdaX" to the kopt= line
in /boot/grub/menu.lst - remember to change hdaX to
where your swap partition really is (run swapon -s to find out), and
then run sudo update-grub. Note that the line seems to be commented
out - that's correct. It gets interpreted by update-grub and applied to each
- Restart with the new kernel.
- Run sudo hibernate
The suspend2 package is actually a metapackage that installs:
- linux-image-2.6.15-xx-686: a suspend-enabled kernel (currently the -686 one... this needs to be fixed),
- initramfs-tools-suspend2: add hooks into mkinitramfs to allow you to resume,
- suspend2-userui-usplash: an Ubuntu-ised splash screen for suspend and resume,
- hibernate: an Ubuntu-tailored version of the hibernate script,
- acpi-support: a patched acpi-support package that supports the hibernate script.
List of known issues:
The kernel version is the same as Ubuntu's, so you can't tell from uname if
the kernel has suspend2 or not - the only place it is mentioned is the
package revision. The Ubuntu build system isn't particularly helpful here
(it insists on <kernelver>-<abiver>-<flavour>)
The -nosmp kernels have no linux-restricted-modules package, and so break
with funky drivers. Hopefully I'll soon have found the cause of the bug that
requires me to create -nosmp kernels, removing this issue altogether.
Contacting me: I'd love to hear feedback on how useful these kernels are
to people, or if they break horribly. I can be contacted at
bernard at blackham dot com dot au, or you can seek help on the suspend2 mailing list - firstname.lastname@example.org.